Monday 11 February 2008

A maddening day

What do you do when you’re infuriated,
So infuriated you can’t hear yourself think.
When you have so many thoughts in your head,
You can’t find the adjective to describe yourself.
‘‘How was your day?’’
Okay.
Things are always ‘‘okay’’.
But then who asks about your day, pray tell.

What do you do when you realise you made a mistake,
Something which will change your life forever.
When you realise the other person was right, and just out to help you.
Do you push them away and keep lying to yourself?
Or do you right the wrong.
Well, the answer my friend is blowing in the wind.
It’s rather obvious.
‘‘Should is a good word,’’ said a very wise friend of mine.
But humans never do as they should.

‘‘Stop lying to yourself,’’ I told someone a long time ago.
Someone who used to be my friend. She didn’t stop.
‘‘You think too much.’’ Well, yes I do. But who else can I talk to but myself.

I want to be the fish swimming in the pond.
The fish I see twice a day, the fish who relaxes me
When I’m just having the worst day.
Money is over-rated.
Or maybe I just don’t have enough.
I’d rather be the penniless fish.
Living amidst the lotuses and algae.
With no predators around and plenty of food to eat.

I’m a predator. Sometimes.
I’m also the victim.
Does he realise that? Ah no.
Fang’s bark is worse than her bite.
I’m not lying anymore. It’s all very clear.
Crystal.
Clear what should be done.
Done a long time ago.
When she did the same thing.
Follow in her footsteps.
But no. When that part of her life died, she gave it to me.
I’m not strong enough to give away what I inherited.
But I have to learn.

Time is slipping away.
How much longer am I going to take?

What do you do when you have so many thoughts in your head,
You can’t hear yourself think straight.
What do you do when you’re so infuriated with yourself,
You have nobody but yourself to blame.

Stop pushing them away,
They’re only trying to help.
Snort.
Or maybe not.

What do you do when you don’t have time to find a new life?
A life you dream about.
It’s simple, really.
But the simplest things are the hardest to achieve.

Grey’s Anatomy. Strawberries with sugar.
Feeding Tommy.
Clean feet and a warm cup of coffee.
An ink pen with black ink and a sharpened pencil.
Washed hair.
Driving with only music as my companion.
Talking to Priya after weeks.
Getting to go for a show or read a book for free.
Making my mother happy.
Sanjana’s 17 different ways of giggling.
An uncomplicated bear hug.
Simplicity.
Simple joy.

It’s time for me to get my act together.
‘‘I think you deserve more.’’
Don’t we all.

3 comments:

Nrithya said...

Life is random, and apparently so is this post. I know we don't think alike, bt I try to see the positive in situations like this. It's usually pretty evident, stuff that you've mentioned also...simple joys. Take heart, and believe that the shit you go through teches you lessons.

Right. Gyaan for the day is over. I'm going to go back to my jobless day now.

San said...

see. ranting is good. and, i can comment. cuz the other posts are well written but you already know that and i have no literary input to provide. :)
im glad i was of some help d. 17 different ways of giggling is definitely going on my resume now!
and,
i cant keep my feet clean for more than an hour. no matter how hard i try.
i think you are a very good daughter.
and you're only 19. 20? 21? you have plenty of time. (as do i) :)
relax.
i think you have to mention the compulsive oiling of hair as well.
and,
its not so bad. you just need to stop thinking it is.
and,
meesa luuurve yousa!
may the force be with you child.

San said...

wow. i think im in love with my comment. sigh.