Sunday 16 January 2011

a day in the life of a feline


I was completely invisible.

Sitting beneath the foggy sky, the creamy moonlight. Nobody could have found me if I had remained quiet.

Well, not entirely beneath the starlit sky and such. I was in somebody’s room. And the room, usually filthy and uninhabited, was suddenly opened by a large, loud pair of people.

I screamed. They screamed.

I fled.

Back into the cold of Bhubaneshwar’s streets, the bloody cold, fog and stupid moon. Not so romantic anymore, I thought, shaking myself. I should have known the room was occupied. It smelt nicer than usual. Some humans weren’t as dirty as these nasty dogs were.

I managed to find a warmish tree to climb and was going to settle down when I heard humans. A girl in particular. A screaming girl in particular.

I was curious. And so I got off my not-so-comfortable perch and moved towards the humans. It hadn’t occurred to me that I was in a big, black, open space. Thank god for my kitty night vision. The girl would have a much rougher time seeing her assailant.

I couldn’t find her. I was going to head into another tree when I heard strange noises I had never heard before. I moved a little closer. As quietly as I could, I thought. But apparently not. Some strange green light shone upon me and I clamped my eyes and yowled.

“WHAT IS IT?” It didn’t speak kitty-kat or any other animal, but it was pretty easy to figure out what the damn thing was saying to its partner.
“I DO NOT KNOW,” the other one shrugged.

They were quite small actually. About half a human’s size, lengthwise and breadthwise. And they were some strange colour.

“IT IS NOT TRYING TO HURT US. SEE. NOT LIKE THE OTHER ONE.”

Oh dear. That poor, dumb, frightened animal. Human beings were so silly. If only they fought their emotions a bit more and didn’t listen to base instincts. Like dogs. I scoffed.

“THAT NOISE.” Thing sounded fascinated. Thing number 1 reached for me. I made the scoff again to see what it would do.

“THERE. AGAIN.”

“JUST LIKE LEADER.”

Oh, god. Alien dogs? I waited with bated breath. Dogs were notoriously stupid. Stupidly loyal.

“THE OTHER ONE WAS A LESSER CREATURE, OBVIOUSLY. THIS ONE IS MORE… MORE…”

“MORE LIKE LEADER.”

They sounded positively excited. I figured they weren’t from around here.

Thing number 2 spoke into its.. erm, let me just say it was a bit of a private moment. “TAKE US BACK. WE HAVE FOUND THE PLANET’S AUTHORITY.”

Ohh. This was going to be soooo good. I smiled to myself. Suckers!

There was a much bigger light, of some strange palette of colours, and I was gone.

--
In a room, not so far away, two girls quietly converse.

“Dude. I’m feeling bad.”

“What?”

“We shouldn’t have screamed. I don’t mind the cat staying with us actually. What if it usually sleeps here?”

“Eh? Wait, why did you scream then? Only screamed cos’ you did. Otherwise I’d have thought you called the cat or something.”

Silence. Then. “Call the cat?! What am I, cat lady or cat whisperer?” Shrieks of laughter.

“You like animals, how am I supposed to know!”

More laughter, till the chuckles die down and the cat is forgotten about by all of humanity – namely the two screechy, girls.

2 comments:

WarmSunshine said...

interesting read :)

Dropping by from SS :)

ms pie said...

how funny....