Saturday 15 November 2008

Stranger

“Aha! It’s perfect.”

“Balls it’s perfect… It’s totally messed up and you know it.”

“Could you try being a little more supportive?”

“Dude, my oldest and closest friend just committed a crime, what do you expect me to do?”

“Explain to me why you would help me, then throw attitude at me.”

“Fuck off, at least I helped you… This is no little crime, mind you.”

“God help me… What else was I supposed to do?”

“Honey, are you trying to tell me there’s no other way to tell a boy you don’t want to marry him, and that you have to bloody kill him?!”

“I… I don’t know. I mean.. Mom and Dad were pressurising me so much and I can’t marry someone I barely know!”

“Just listen to yourself.”

“Killing him was like… Unplanned.”

“Listen, let’s clean this up before somebody finds us and this body.”

“My God.. You’re right, what do we do with the body!”

“No need to freak out, I have a plan.”

“Oh my God, oh my God (continues into a murmur)”

“Precisely why I came… You girls can’t handle such gory stuff.”

“Quit picking on me, just help me!” (trying to turn the body over)

“Right, put on these gloves first and then dump the knife in this bag.”

“Sure, but first give me a hand will you.”

“That I will, but put the gloves on before you touch the body… Oh see you flipped him on your own anyway.”

“Uhhhhm. Dude I think we have a problem because this isn’t the guy. It’s some stranger!”

“Very well, don’t listen to me and use gloves, we’ll just get…….. WHAT?! What are you fricking insane?!”

“Well, it looks like him! And this is his bed so I thought it was him! I thought I was doing the right thing!”

“X chromosomes aren’t all that they’re made out to be I see… What the hell are you gonna do now?”

“You’re right, I don’t think we should have done this. Oh my god.”

“Zoicks, as Scooby Doo would say. Now what?”

----

This is an exercise thought up by a friend of mine, which involves telling a story in 26 sentences. The sentences begin with alphabets starting from A, B, C… and going up to Z.

10 comments:

"Sunshine" said...

This was a very creative post! Your story worked very well--it didn't sound contrived, yet you were able to incorporate the sentences that each begin with a letter of the alphabet in order. Very impressive!

Roan said...

Cool exercise and you mastered it.

Lilly said...

I love a bit a crime fiction. This was very well written.

Linda Jacobs said...

I love this! What a story!

And the form is something I'm going to try with my poetry-writing students!

Tumblewords: said...

Wow! Good job! A fun experiment that works!

~*sis*~ said...

loved it....didn't catch the abc thing till the end either...:)

niyo said...

@ sunshine, b roan, linda, sis & tumblewords:

thanks :). like i said though, it was a friend and not me who thought up the form. it's pretty cool though, i agree wholeheartedly.

@ lilly:
didn't think of it as crime fiction at all. now wondering whether i should flesh it out and try making it a story. thanks for the feedback :)

Mary said...

Wow, what a cool writing exercise. I may have to steal this idea and try it sometime, though I doubt I could do as good a job as this.

San said...

i didnt know there was a new post!! love how it worked out.not forced at all. :) and yay! im happy so many people had nice things to say. :)

Fantasies of a Lifetime said...

Awesome . . I never noticed the alphabets until you mentioned it. . .Nice story too :). . .

And yes I am from India , Am from down south ,I live at Chennai :0)