Sunday 21 December 2008

late

*Couple standing at the top of a bridge over the subway around 2am*


“Are you sure?”

“Baby, I’ve never been more sure of anything in my life.”

“Could you please tell me how this happened… we’ve been so careful!”

“Don’t know, really. It took me this long to even figure it out.”

“Even though you missed your period for what… four months?!”

“For god’s sake… I thought I was late!!”

“Geez… do you really think I’m going to believe that after you’ve been trying to get me to marry you for what, two years now.”


* long silence *


“History repeats itself… you did the same to her, now you’ll do it to me too.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about. Anyway, can’t you abort it?”

“Jesus Vikram, it’s too late, it’s been over four months now.”

Kismat huh. My kismat this is, to become an unwilling father…”

“Listen, fuck off. You don’t have to do anything for me or this baby.”

“My, my, what a sacrifice… you the virtuous single mother and me, the deserting, unwilling father of the baby.”

“No, I don’t want you and your fucking attitude around my child. Get out.”

“Oh, I see. Fine.”

“Please… Just leave me alone to live my life now. * crying * You’ve ruined it enough.”

“Quit being a drama queen. What if it’s a boy?”

“Right, and what difference is that going to make.”

“Since I’m an only child and my father is such a successful man… And I don’t have kids… He may find out someday and…”

“Trust me, he won’t find out. Nobody knows apart from the doc and you, and nobody else is ever going to find out.”

“Under the circumstances maybe you should let me give you some money at least.”

“Vikram what’s wrong with you… first you accuse me to trying to get you to marry me, then you offer me money? Fuck off.”

“What? What do you want from me?”

“X chromosome, Y chromosome… how does it even matter.”

“You don’t get it… If it’s a son he may get my father’s everything. I can’t risk that, so I’m offering you money to keep quiet. It’s not for the baby.”

“Zero, zilch, nothing. I don’t want anything, I’ll shut up anyway. Goodbye, Vikram.”


*turns around to go when Vikram pushes her over the side of the bridge. He checks to see if anyone has seen and then leaves, muttering about risks and gold-diggers*

----

This is an exercise thought up by a friend of mine, which involves telling a story in 26 sentences. The sentences begin with alphabets starting from A, B, C… and going up to Z.

7 comments:

floreta said...

what a cool exercise. you execute it well! great story for Late. the dialogue is very tense...

floreta said...

what a cool exercise. you execute it well! great story for Late. the dialogue is very tense...

JulMarSol said...

Wow, what a great story for 26 sentences and using the alphabet! I enjoyed the read!

~Jules
http://casadejules.net/quepasa/?p=306

San said...

le sigh. boys.

why were they having this conversation on a bridge anyway?

and for some reason i could picture the gemini flyover. hehe.

Pratik Mehta said...

Fresh and different. Very nice and very indicative of the "progress" the current generation is making back in India.

sudharm baxi said...

Damn good!!

gel said...

You flew with this interesting exercise. I wasn't prepared for the change in tone in the middle, but it brought character to your prose.