Sunday 25 January 2009

phantoms and shadows

Memories delude me.


Some stay, will remain till I’m dead.

Some vanish, wisps of mist in my head.


I remember my first kiss,

My arms entwined with his;

The taste of vodka on my lips,

My tummy doing nervous flips.


But what would he remember?


Tipsy, free and stoned out of his mind,

Maybe with the first girl he could find?


Memories are selective.

Twisted, secretive,

Shadowy and elusive.


Memories are all we have.


Of people lost and people gone,

Each day new memories born.


25th August, 2004.

A day different in each of our lives.

The day I lost the man I love,

The day even gods cried from up above.

Some rejoiced; a foe they had lost,

For some, he went at a great cost.


See them memories…

You try to remember some, try to forget some.

Some will make you laugh till you cry,

Some you can’t forget even if you try.


Memories are all I have.

5 comments:

bellamocha said...

Wow! A well-written poem, which you make seem effortless; I really like this. I look forward to more!

Bella :)

utopianfragments said...

true and powerful. though i think a bit diffrent about memories. now is what we have, memories are nice to have, like photos taken on diffrent places, reminding us of of other days, other nights. but we should not hang on them, should not live in them. should rejoice by them, take the meassge they carry and bring it alive.

Tumblewords: said...

I love this poem - it speaks truth in delightfully descriptive words and with thoughts that haunt our lives.

deep said...

I simply love it. I liked the difference with the two lines - 'memories are all we have' and then 'I have', later. I also like the title very much. Reminded me of what a poet friend said about memories being mirrors. You have said so beautifully two different mirrors or even if same - we see different things in the same mirror, same image. Very poetic extrapolated thought to have.

You may want to know this poem made my day. And, aargh. I envy your ease with rhyme. :)

paisley said...

16 january 2004 the day i lost mine....

but the memories never die,, they seem to get clearer and more beautiful as time progresses....