Monday 19 January 2009

Pilgrim

Give me a minute to collect my wits,

A minute to forget that last kiss.

I need to let go of my naïve notions,

Not think of you when I look across oceans.


Give me some time to grow up,

Leave you behind,

Like a fly in my champagne cup.

I’m already halfway there..

Thinking about you less,

Forgetting each curl and wave of your hair.


Gone are the days when I worshiped you,

Did all the things you asked me to.

I’m not your pilgrim any more,

Everytime you hurt me, I’m keeping score.

Running through things you’ve said,

Running them endlessly in my head.

With each day I get more hurt,

All that’s left between us is the dirt.


Let me go. Please.

With my self-respect in tact.

Let me get off my knees.


By the beach this morning,

Wet hair, stomach growling,

I think of us again.

But it wasn’t you I dreamt of last night.

With you now I don’t even fight.

It’s not you I share my fears with.

You’re so far away, our love feels like a myth.


Woo them new girls, while I move on,

Just let me go; you’ll manage with one less pawn.

I’m trying to cut the corners now,

I’m letting you go, I don’t care how.

My arduous journey is ending now.

I’m waiting to exit, take a bow.

Loving you has been beautiful but so unkind.

It’s time to walk away, and see what else I find.


Memories may keep haunting me,

But I’ll survive if you let me be.


Walking the length of the beach alone,

Not bothered about messages on my phone.

Only one pair of footprints as I look behind.

But I turn back.. to a clear sky and a clearer mind.

5 comments:

deep said...

I like your unforced rhyme scheme. hurt,dirt and with,myth lines most!
the left behind pair of footprints was a strong visual.

Looked like the same thing about leaving and feeling free was repetitively said in different words and different line-forms. Was intended?

Like a fly in a champagne cup? i'm forced to think it as innovative. but i missed the simile/metaphor there.

floreta said...

this one speaks to me a lot right now. thank you for sharing!

Christy said...

Beautiful hopeful poem about love and dignity and the resilience of the human spirit. I especially liked the references to the beauty that existed in the relationship, the ability of the narrator to remember the beauty although she is in pain.

Tumblewords: said...

I love where you went with the prompt! Good work!

utopianfragments said...

very intersting take of the prompt.
i like the walking on the beach part. one pair of footprints