Thursday 25 August 2011

leap of faith

I've made an image of lovers over the years
As I've watched them all fall, around me:
My closest confidantes, most distant nemeses.
Acrobats flying through the air,
Lithe and graceful, sometimes eyes closed,
Some eyes are wide open.

They leap, they land on their feet,
On their heads, backs, elbows and teeth,
Like cats or clumsy hippos.
Some land on shards of glass that were waiting,
Pointing at the heavens.

Some have partners, ones which help,
Firm, warm hands which hold them up
As they gaze into pools of coloured pupils.
I've seen warm hands grow slippery, moist:
Once steady acrobats go flying to the ground.

I have to applaud.
We, the ones sitting on the benches,
Have to cheer them.
I used to think we were smart,
To watch them fall,
To help them up,
To never jump ourselves.
Now I know how brave they are.
Stupidly brave acrobats.

To close your eyes and jump:
Just to feel your heart soar,
The wind whipping past you in waves,
Like you are a bird and
There is no tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know what you are talking about, the bravest thing is a leap of faith, everything else is easy. What timing btw!